- The Pack is a not-for-profit organization. All moneys collected flow back to the scouts as awards and program costs.
- Dues pay for awards. A scout that is not current with their dues WILL NOT receive awards at Pack meetings. If a family is struggling to pay for dues, they can request a campership in writing to cover their Scout needs.
Costs include three things: dues, uniform including book, and special events. The dues, uniform, and book cost about $200 combined. The uniform cost is a 1x cost. Special events consist of campouts and special outings, as well as events like the Pinewood derby. Derby car kits are included in dues; special outings cost $7 and up depending on the outing, and campouts cost between $15 - 30 per person depending on where we camp and who is providing food. Many of our events like marching in a parade or day hikes have no cost.
The Pack 285 Store
handles payments and provides easier access to uniforms and books.
Pack 285 charges membership dues per school year. Dues pay for patches, pins, awards, Cub swag, application processing materials such as envelopes & stamps, adult volunteer background checks, and a small Pack 285 Campership program. Dues also pay for group insurance for meeting and camping activities, BSA campsites, 6 of which are within the Tampa Bay area, software and website services, training, and more.
- New Fall Scouts - $115 (includes Pack t-shirt, camp cup)
- Returning Scouts - $100
- New Winter Scouts - $100 (includes Pack t-shirt, camp cup)
- New Spring Scouts - $50 (includes Pack t-shirt, camp cup)
Uniform & Book
Pack 285 requires a minimum uniform. The uniform is an important part of making the program work for your scout. Uniforms typically only need to be purchased once over a scout's entire Cub Scout program from grades 1-5. The kindergarten uniform is about $30. All other grades cost about $80 (as of February, 2019). While we highly encourage you to get a uniform quickly, they can be purchased in pieces over time to help with costs. In the meantime, scouts should wear their Pack t-shirt. Scouts will need a new book for each year. The books cost about $10-$17 and are included in the uniform costs above. The rest of the information about what to buy can be found on the Uniforms page.